ADSM-L

Re: 3494 category vs tsm libvol

2005-10-07 18:23:02
Subject: Re: 3494 category vs tsm libvol
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 17:22:25 -0500
Let me restate your question to be sure I understand.
The 3494 lists the tape as private at the same time TSM lists the tape
as scratch.
This is normal.  The TSM server checks in the tape, meaning the 3494
changes the tapes category to private.  After the tape is in a category
the 3494 will only allow the system that checked in the tape to mount
the tape.  TSM then marks the tape as scratch internally to TSM, the
3494 does not know what TSM has done with the tape and does not care.
In my case you can substitute AS/400 for TSM in the proceeding
paragraph.  We have both AS/400 and TSM sharing the library, the
categories help insure that a system does not mount a wrong tape.

Hope this help thin the fog, not thicken it...

Andy Huebner