ADSM-L

dsmj bug or error in documentation

2005-10-06 16:45:26
Subject: dsmj bug or error in documentation
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:42:28 -0500
I have a Linux system running 5.3.0.11 client code.  According to the
TSM documentation (see excerpt below) the virtualnodename option is
supported by dsmj.

/To restore or retrieve files to another workstation, use the
virtualnodename option to specify the node name of the workstation from
which you backed up the files. Virtualnodename cannot be set to the
hostname of the machine. You can use the virtualnodename option when you
start Tivoli Storage Manager or you can add the virtualnodename option
to your client user options file dsm.opt. Use the virtualnodename option
on the dsmj command if you are borrowing another user's machine and you
do not want to update their client user options file.
/
However, if I use it on the command line when I invoke dsmj I get the
following error which appears to be a syntax error when trying to do a
cd command!

/hotrod@athlon:~/mdrfinancial> dsmj -virtualnode=mail
/usr/bin/dsmj: line 125: cd: -v: invalid option
cd: usage: cd [-L|-P] [dir]
Unable to access jarfile dsm.jar
/
I have looked at the file dsmj and it appears that if there are one or
more parameters passed it tries to cd to the first parameter which in
this case causes a problem.  My conclusion is that either dsmj really
does not support virtualnodename and the documentation is wrong or there
is a serious coding error in the dsmj script.

In addition, I tried putting the virtualnodename option in my dsm.opt
file which worked fine with the dsmc command but it still was not picked
up by the dsmj command at all.

I am curious, is this behavior particular to Linux or is this behavior
the same on the other version of dsmj for unix systems.

--

Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE