ADSM-L

Two questions on 5.1.x --> 5.3.x

2005-10-05 06:47:03
Subject: Two questions on 5.1.x --> 5.3.x
From: Paul van Dongen <Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:45:57 -0300
Hello all,

    Sorry to bother you not with one, but three questions...

    I am in the process of upgrading a customer's TSM Server from 5.1.6.4 to
5.3.x. I am taking some precautonary measures due to the size of the DB
(240GB). Here is what I thought of:

1) Backup DB and apply 5.1.10 fixpack (Scheduled for today)
2) Run CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS
3) Upgrade HP-UX (Now 11.0) to 11i and atdd
4) Backup DB and install 5.3.0.0
5) Install 5.3.2

So question one is: Is this path correct or should I think of installing 5.2.x
in between? And would you recommend 5.3.2 or a more conservative 5.3.1.6?

For question 3, the following info:

    The database was behaving VERY badly. It had been allocated as 240 (!)
volumes 1GB each on 3 separate filesystems (EMC disks). I already changed it to
8 33GB volumes on 8 filesystems. Performance became a little better (backup DB
went from almost 4 hours to 2h50m), but it still suffers bad on expirations. It
takes 3+ hours to expire a million objects, and by analysing actlog I found
that it takes almost a month to expire twice the same node/filespace. At these
moments, sar -d shows one of the DB volumes at nearly 100% util, but with a
rather low number of operations (long seeks? DB fragmentation too bad?).

    So question is: Should I leave the DB this way, or use the other disks
given to me by the storage admin: 32 8GB slices on separate disks. Take this
slices and make 8 33GB striped LVs (4 slices each), create the filesystems and
put the DB volumes there?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Paul van Dongen