ADSM-L

Re: Linux 5.2 TSM Install Error

2005-10-04 16:23:58
Subject: Re: Linux 5.2 TSM Install Error
From: Aaron Becar <ab032 AT BYUH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:22:02 -1000
Leigh,

Thank SOOOO MUCH!  I finally wiped everything off, reinstalled FC3,
turnning off the firewall and SELinux, and installed the lateset kernel.
 I was able to install the server, and have it up and running!  Much
Mahalo's (thank you) to everyone!  Wow, and I thought all I and to do
was ./install_server!  We are going to move to production tomorrow!
Thanks!

Aaron

>>> L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK 10/3/2005 10:59:57 PM >>>
Aaron,

Firstly, if you are still trying to install on FC3, it's not strictly
supported.
Supported platforms can be found at

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&uid=swg21

052223&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

It's been a while since I've done this and things may have changed
with
later kernel releases but the error that you are seeing below is
because
the standard FC3 distro does not contain certain libraries that the
license acceptance tool requires. Also ensure that you do have the
license rpm.

I'm not a Linux expert but I googled the errors and found articles
relating to missing rpm's. You may find that you have to add one, get
different error, google it, add another etc. In the supported
platforms
doc, it may be worth noting the following

For TSM Version 5.2
Linux kernel 2.4.x (for x=2, or later)
glibc 2.2.2
libstdc++ 2.9.x (for x=6, or later)
RPM 3.0.x or 4.0 (for x=0, or later)

On the point of not being able to connect to the server when it's
installed, I think that Richard Sims hit the nail on the head. FC is a
hardened version of Linux and as such has firewalling set as default.
On
the FC install process you will be asked if you wish to have
firewalling
enabled (default) and also SELinux. With the SELinux options, you can
specify additional TCP ports ie 1500, 1501, 1580 etc.

If this is all purely for testing you can get by, but if you are
thinking of production I would recommend an officially supported
version
of Linux.

Leigh