ADSM-L

Tapes unaccounted for???

2005-10-03 10:26:49
Subject: Tapes unaccounted for???
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:10:39 +0100
Hi All

I recently when to our off-site location where our Copypool DR volumes are
housed to make sure that all the tapes I thought should be there actually
were. That part of the mission was a success and all tapes were present.
However, I also came across a whole bunch of tapes that weren't on my lists
at all. I took a list of all tapes that I knew were being used using q drm
for the off-site and q vol stg=tapepool for the on-site. We only have the
one on-site tapepool and we don't have archive volumes so I'm happy that
the list was complete.

So what are all the tapes I have found that are unaccounted for? If I do a
q vol on any of the newly found tapes I get the "NR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No
match found using this criteria." message as I would expect.

So has anyone else had similar situations where tapes that should have been
retrieved at some point weren't. This is the first time I have done such a
check so these volumes will have built up over a long period of time, but I
just want to make sure that the volumes really aren't needed before I have
them all shipped back as scratch volumes.

Thanks in advance

Farren Minns
Solaris System Admin / Oracle DBA
IT - Hosting Services

John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The Atrium,
Southern Gate,
Chichester,
West Sussex PO19 8SQ.
Tel:  +44 (0) 1243 770406
Fax: +44 (0) 1243 775878

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.