ADSM-L

Move TSM server from Z/OS Mainframe to AIX : pro's and con's ? Experiences ?

2005-10-03 10:13:15
Subject: Move TSM server from Z/OS Mainframe to AIX : pro's and con's ? Experiences ?
From: Paul Van De Vijver <Paul.Van.De.Vijver AT HONDA-EU DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:10:31 +0200
Hi,

Would it be possible to give some comments on next please ?

Because we are requesting some more diskspace (500 GB) for TSM on our
mainframe
our management is wondering why we do not run TSM on AIX where diskspace
is much cheaper.
I agree with them that diskspace is cheaper on AIX, but I  think the total
convertion/migration cost
will  be a factor x more expensive then the price difference in disk space

Some figures about our current configuration :

Primary pool is about 30 GB  disk and 6 TB in Virtual Tape System (approx
6000 virtual 3490 volumes)
Our copy pool is on 3590 tapes (copied during day time from VTS to 3590 on
MAGSTAR)
We have 10  3590 drives on our Magstar, but TSM can use a maximum of 5
drives during day time and only 1 drive during night
Daily backup volume is approx 450-500 GB
TSM Database is 12 GB
 +/- 150 clients (Windows, AIX )
TSM server version 5.2.4.0

If we could get 500 GB extra disk space for our primary pool then this
could cover our total daily backup volume
and the data could be copied directly from there to our copypool which
would be MUCH faster
iso our current situation where almost all data has already been migrated
to our VTS and causing hundreds of
tape mounts (physical tape mounts because VTS cache is too small to keep
all TSM data and other data)

If we should consider to move to AIX, I see next issues :

-  VTS can no longer be used with AIX
-  we will need more 3590 drives
-  we will need extra 3590 tapes for primary pool
-  maybe extra frame needed in Magstar
-  new AIX box of course
-  Z/OS - AIX migration issues ?

-  other points to consider ?

Any comments (pro's and contra's) are welcome
Has someone done this migration before ?

Many thanks,

Paul Van de Vijver
TSM Aministrator
Honda Europe NV
Belgium

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or the
entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you have
received it by mistake, please let the sender know by e-mail reply and delete
it from your system.
disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Honda Europe NV is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of
the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
receipt.