ADSM-L

archiving question

2005-09-29 14:57:14
Subject: archiving question
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:56:23 -0500
I have a conundrum similiar to a recent posting.  We have ~ 140 servers getting
backed up.  Management wants to take an archive of every backed up server
bi-monthly (our normal backup retention is 60 versions/60 days).  These would
get kept for 1 year.  At year-end, every system would take an archive that gets
kept 7 years.  Since there are going to be 2 retention requirements, I created
2 management classes to match up.

Currently I manage all our backups through server-side client option sets.
Ideally, I would like the archive jobs to use those same option sets to
determine what should get archived.  From what I've been able to find, that's
not possible.  Which leaves 2 choices, both ugly.

1.  Create 2 archive schedules for every server, so I can put custom info in
the "Objects" field. (1 schedule for each retention possibility)

2.  Create 2 archive schedules for each "type" of server (novell,MS,ect), and
specify common objects to get backed up.
      i.e. vol1:\* for netware, and something like c:\* for windows.

#1 is very ugly for obvious reasons.  #2 wouldn't even really work, since not
all servers need the same things archived.  Some windows servers have a D:\
that would need archiving, while on most servers, D:\ would be the cdrom drive.

Like I said, the most thrilling answer would be to find out there is a way to
make archives use the Client Option Sets.  Otherwise, is there an option #3 or
4 that I've missed here?  The netware client documentation implies that there's
an include.archive option that can be used in Option Sets, but it doesn't
explain how.  When I've tried testing it, it doesn't seem to work.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.