ADSM-L

Re: how to speed up ...

2005-09-29 03:01:17
Subject: Re: how to speed up ...
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:01:51 +0100
Of course, before we can (try to) speed up the client, we need to know
where the bottleneck lies. The problem could very well be something other
than the amount of data you are backing up.

When the backup starts, periodically (every 5 minutes, for example) run
QUERY SESSION on the server side so you can get an idea of how much data
is being sent to the client during the initial backup query; after that,
use the QUERY SESSION to get an idea of how quickly data is moving between
client and server

Traversal of the file system can also have a profound impact. Even if you
are not actually backing up a lot of the data, it can take a long time to
traverse 8+ million files.

RESOURCEUTILIZATION of 5 might help... see reference info for this option
in the client manual.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-09-28
15:51:44: