ADSM-L

How to recover "orphaned" tapes.

2005-09-27 09:48:33
Subject: How to recover "orphaned" tapes.
From: "Mcnutt, Larry E." <larry.mcnutt AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:47:46 -0400
Hello,

Environment:
FSPHTSM1 server 5.2.3.0 AIX 5.2 - library manager
FSPHTSM2 server 5.1.7.0 AIX 5.2 - library client
3494 library shared, 1221 cells, 6 3590H1A drives

I recently discovered 200+ volumes that are in "limbo".  From a 'q libvol'
on the library manager,
They  are shown as owned by FSPHTSM2
Library Name: 3494LIB01
   Volume Name: K20005
         Owner: FSPHTSM2
      Last Use: Data
  Home Element:
   Device Type:
Cleanings Left:
    Media Type:

However on FSPHTSM2 a 'q vol K20005' returns 'ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No
match found using this criteria.'

I think I found one situation that caused this problem.  During a backup
schedule on FSPHTSM2, the diskpool filled, and numerous sessions tried to
mount tapes.  These sessions were canceled before writing to the tapes, and
it looks like FSPHTSM2 did not add the tape to the storage pool even though
FSPHTSM1 marked them as such.  I think this type of situation has happened
several times over the past few years leading to the large number of tapes
'orphaned'.

Will running an AUDIT LIBRARY fix this type of problem?  Is there any less
intrusive way to recover the tapes?

Thanks for any help.

Larry McNutt
The Timken Company

This message and any attachments are intended for the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please do
not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this communication to others;
also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then
delete it from your system.

The Timken Company / The Timken Corporation