ADSM-L

Re: 95% missed backups last night

2005-09-24 12:23:03
Subject: Re: 95% missed backups last night
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:23:29 +0100
Geoff, as Sean suggested, a rename of the server is one possible (and
likely) means by which the passwords could have been messed up. Less
likely, but still conceivable, is that someone updated all the passwords
for the nodes.

When you set the password on the server to the known password, did you
also use FORCEPWRESET=YES? If so, then the first time you connected to the
client with the new known password, the password would have been changed
and re-encrypted in the registry (presumably you are using PASSWORDACCESS
GENERATE).

The web client uses the admin ("User ID") password. When you reset the
nodes password, if you did not also reset the corresponding admin ID's
password, then that new password will not be recognized as the password
for the user ID, and hence the web client won't work.

If, when you reinstalled the client acceptor and remote client agent, the
password had been re-encrypted as I mentioned above, then that might
explain why the new password was not recognized.

Try resetting both node and corresponding admin password (assuming you use
the like-named admin to log in to the web client), but don't use
FORCEPWRESET=YES. Then run the command line client to get the password
re-encrypted into the registry. If that work, try uninstalling, the
reinstalling the web client CAD and remote client agent services using
this new password. Does that work? If so, then try connecting to the web
client.

I have no explanation for the junk character names in those ANR0423W
messages, except for the possibility that they are non-English characters
(i.g., Japanese), and so they might not render correctly in the server
activity log.

If you have a very specific series of steps that I can follow to reproduce
what you are seeing, that might help shed some light on why this is
happening.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-09-22
20:11:11: