ADSM-L

95% missed backups last night

2005-09-22 12:07:49
Subject: 95% missed backups last night
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:07:15 -0700
TSM server AIX 5.2

TSM version 5.2.6.1

I recently upgraded from AIX 4.3.3 to 5.2, ran the system for a week with no
issues, then upgraded TSM from 5.1.6.3 to 5.2.6.1. One week has passed and
things seemed to be somewhat normal till last night. About 98% of the
backups reported missed last night and at the moment I haven’t a clue as to
why. I typically keep a console window open to watch what is going on and
this morning I see started and ended sessions being refused because it says
the administrator name is not registered. The name it shows is very odd in
that it is a bunch of odd characters and smiley faces instead of the server
name. I also can’t seem to get in via the web and query the activity log
from last night, it just seems to hang after send so much data. I could
still use the dos window to run queries while that was happening.

The missed backups reported

These are odd to say the least.

ANR0423W Session 39175 for administrator ^AL☺☻'YTE&D☺☺ ( ) refused -
administrator name not

ANR0423W Session 39177 for administrator PU►☺► ( ) refused - administrator
name not registered.

ANR0423W Session 39160 for administrator ^AK☺+0YTD%C☺☺ ( ) refused -
administrator name not registered.

ANR0423W Session 39158 for administrator ^AK☺+0YTE&C☺☺ ( ) refused -
administrator name not registered.

ANR0423W Session 39164 for administrator ^AJ☺+0YTE&B☺☺ ( ) refused -
administrator name not registered.

I have restarted the server with the hope of cleaning things up but the
problem is I need to find out what’s happened. So there are 2 basic
questions I’ll ask to see if I can get some help from the list while I go
off and try to get the server going again.

1.      Has anyone seen this behavior before? I was running perfectly well
on AIX 4.3.3 and TSM 5.1.6.3.
2.      Are there any AIX settings I should look at that might be causing
this?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com