ADSM-L

8-character file name/index limitation on Domino TDP client

2005-09-20 16:39:05
Subject: 8-character file name/index limitation on Domino TDP client
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:38:39 -0400
I know this sounds bizarre, but I can reproduce this every time.

In my DSM.SYS file, when I code the following:

   SCHEDLOGNAME
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_vram2/dsmschedw.log
   ERRORLOGNAME
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_vram2/dsmerrorw.log

the backup session fails with:

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail:
Data Protection for Lotus Domino
Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1999, 2004. All rights reserved.

ANS1192E (RC959)  Specifying the error log '*' as a symbolic link is not
allowed.
 ACD5412W An error was encountered with Tivoli Storage Manager API
initialization, rc = 959.
Examine the dsierror.log for more information or determine if the TSM API
is installed properly.
 Warning! Error initializing the connection to the TDP library

Initialization failed

When I change the file name/1st index from DSMSCHEDW.LOG to DSMSCHED.LOG
(or anything LESS THAN OR EQUAL 8-characters in the 1st index of the file
name), the backup works.

Considering that this is latest release of the TDP client on Solaris, the
strange limitation is.................strange !

What am I missing ?