ADSM-L

Re: Mac tiger 5.3 client date?

2005-09-20 09:59:21
Subject: Re: Mac tiger 5.3 client date?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:59:42 -0600
Hi Roger,

I don't understand the issue with the "patches" vs. "maintenance" link.

"patches" is for clients with nonzero values in the fourth component of
the version name, e.g., 5.2.3.12.

"maintenance" is for clients with zero in the fourth component of the
version name, e.g., 5.2.4.0.

This has been this way for quite a few years now.

I just woke up and haven't had my morning coffee yet, but I just checked
(using Mozilla Firefox) and the respective Mac clients appear to be where
I would expect them: 5.2.3.12 in patches, and 5.2.4.0 in maintenance.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-09-20
06:46:58:

> V5.2.4 for Mac was invisible because there are two different locations
> for this kind of thing, and IBM has failed to match up all the symlinks
> correctly.
>
> I had been looking at
> /storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches/client/v5r2/Mac
> which only contains up to v523.
>
> However, v524 is located at
> /storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/v5r2/Mac
>
> The difference is that "patches" has become "maintenance". Gretchen: I
> bet the reason you are having different results with different browsers
> is that you have bookmarked one or the other of these two different URLs
> in your different browsers. I was able to find Mac 5.2.4 just fine with
> IE. And, Gretchen, thanks for tipping me off to the fact that it
> existed, because then I was able to torture the search feature until it
> confessed. Our Mac tiger folks will be trying 5.2.4 out today.
>
> Take note of this April Fools Day prank of hiding 5.2.4 and bookmark
> this new URL! (But you should probably keep your bookmarks for the old
> location, too, in case they change their mind back.)
>
> <RANT> (One reason I consistently rate the tivoli section of the ibm.com
> web site poorly: You can't ever bookmark anything. They're always
> rearranging things, and making it very difficult to locate anything
> unless you're clairvoyant enough to know what to type into a search
> screen. For instance, you've got to know to search on both "Mac" and
> "Macintosh" because using only one or the other gives you incomplete
> results. When you do find useful information, you can never count on
> finding it again. IBM is not alone in this criticism - the City of
> Chicago's web site, for instance, is just as bad.) </RANT>
>
> Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     rogerd AT uic DOT
> edu
> ============"Let the exclence of your wrok be yuor portest."============
>

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Gretchen L. Thiele wrote:
>
> >Roger,
> >
> >There is a v5.2.4.0 client available (as of April 1st). It isn't
> >visible via IE or Safari (haven't checked since the Safari software
> >update), but you can 'see' it if you use command line ftp or Netscape.
> >
> >Our Mac Tiger people have been running this fairly successfully for
> >a while. It would be nice to see the Mac version catch up to the rest
> >of the clients. Be aware that changing the memory efficient backup in
> >the GUI Preferences doesn't update the underlying Preference file...
> >
> >Gretchen Thiele
> >Princeton University
> >
> >Roger Deschner wrote:
> >
> >> We've got a growing number of people running Mac OS X 10.4 ("tiger")
who