ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Recovery (AIX)

2005-09-19 14:25:42
Subject: Re: TSM Server Recovery (AIX)
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:25:07 +0200
On Monday 19 September 2005 19:47, Todd Lundstedt wrote:
> This is more along the lines of AIX server recovery, but it plays into
> TSM, too.
> Without using addtional software, just AIX, how does one create a boot
> CD that contains all the necessary info to restore a server using a
> mksysb tape?
>
> I understand the process for recovering an AIX server from a mksysb tape
> backup to different hardware would be to boot the server from a CD of
> the same OS-ML as the mksysb backup.  My TSM server is running on AIX
> 5200-03.  The install media I have is 5200-01.  How do I create a boot
> CD image (ISO, so I can burn the ISO image using a PC CD-W) that
> contains the 5200-03 files so I can recover the TSM server?
>
> My current working documentation requires an install of 5200-01, patch
> to -03, and install TSM and then restore the DB.  That works OK, but
> takes additional time, and still won't get back everything I need to
> allow some other node restores to start.  I will still have to rebuild
> some things from scratch.
We always backup the TSM server (AIX) on the local tape streamer.  So we have
a bootable mksysb tape that also contains the TSM db backup.
For the other AIX servers we use nim to make backups.  Nim allows you to make
a mksysb to a nim master and stores the mksysb as a file on the nim master
(this is also the TSM server).  The AIX servers can boot from the nim master
over the network and restore the mksysb.

Stef