ADSM-L

TSM Server Recovery (AIX)

2005-09-19 14:04:28
Subject: TSM Server Recovery (AIX)
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:47:41 -0500
This is more along the lines of AIX server recovery, but it plays into
TSM, too.
Without using addtional software, just AIX, how does one create a boot
CD that contains all the necessary info to restore a server using a
mksysb tape?

I understand the process for recovering an AIX server from a mksysb tape
backup to different hardware would be to boot the server from a CD of
the same OS-ML as the mksysb backup.  My TSM server is running on AIX
5200-03.  The install media I have is 5200-01.  How do I create a boot
CD image (ISO, so I can burn the ISO image using a PC CD-W) that
contains the 5200-03 files so I can recover the TSM server?

My current working documentation requires an install of 5200-01, patch
to -03, and install TSM and then restore the DB.  That works OK, but
takes additional time, and still won't get back everything I need to
allow some other node restores to start.  I will still have to rebuild
some things from scratch.

Thanks in advance.
Todd