ADSM-L

Re: FILE STGP question !?!?

2005-09-16 15:23:56
Subject: Re: FILE STGP question !?!?
From: goc <goran.k AT VIP DOT HR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:23:42 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Sims" <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 8:14 PM

On Sep 16, 2005, at 12:52 PM, goc wrote:

hi all, just a quick one ...
i just removed all of my DISK DC pools and on new DS4100 storage
decided to
create FILE stgpools as cache destination, my question how stgpool
know when
to start migration to tape pool, i mean it has usual % values but
these % is
from WHAT ? since the files and space is created dinamicaly ...
hmm, well i
can create all diskpools again but we are talking here about 2TB of
space
which needs to be "used", otherwise what will the manager say,
right :-)
umph !!!

i hope you know what i meant with this question

Goran -

The Admin Guide explains the use of FILE devclass volumes, which are
just another form of sequential volume...

"The FILE device type is used for storing data on disk in simulated
storage volumes."

"The server begins the migration process when the number of volumes
containing data as a percentage of the total volumes in the storage
pool reaches the high migration threshold."

Unlike DISK, a FILE type stgpool's capacity is indefinite, and so
migration is based on volumes count rather than space utilization.

   Richard Sims

hi, thanks
since i'm still working on this i'm kinda sleepy so if comeone can
explain this "The server begins the migration process when the number of
volumes
containing data as a percentage of the total volumes in the storage
pool reaches the high migration threshold"
with some formula or similar

for instanace

number of volumes containing data = 10
total volumes in the storage = hmm ...