ADSM-L

Re: Novell backup performance

2005-09-16 11:20:58
Subject: Re: Novell backup performance
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:19:35 -0500
Open the server's remote management website (http://servername:8008), click the
"Set Parameters" link, then the "Communications" link.  It will be in there.
You can also set it at the console with a command something like "set tcp
delayed acknowlegement = off".  I don't believe the setting stays permanently
that way, however (unless you add it to the autoexec.ncf).

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM 9/16/2005 9:27 AM >>>
Kurt,

I sent this information off to our Netware admin as a possible fix for
some issues we're having, and she cannot even locate the setting. I tried
a Google search with no luck, and a search of Novell's website didn't
return anything to me. I'm not a Netware person at all so I have no idea
what to even suggest to her. The systems in question are on Netware
6.5--do you know if the option still exists there, and if so, how I can
guide her to it?

Thanks much!

Kathleen

_________________________________

Kathleen Hallahan
Freddie Mac
Distributed Backups
703-450-3317

"Timothy Hughes" < Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US >
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" < ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU >
09/16/2005 08:05 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" < ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU >

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Novell backup performance

Thanks Again! Kurt and David

Kurt Beyers wrote:

> Check as well that the parameter TCP_DELAYED_ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF on the
Novell server.

> Switching it from the default 'ON' to OFF improved the backups times
with a factor of 3 at a customer.

> best regards;
> Kurt
>
> ________________________________

the network I/O. Upgrading the TSM server to a gig ethernet card and
switch dramatically improved the backup times of our Novel clients.

> Hello,
>
> We have a Novell client who's backup is taking to long
> We added the Resourceutilization line (8) to the dsm.opt file
> but it's still taking long. Does anyone have any suggestions
> on what else I might take a look at or do that would help improve
> the backup time. The backup starts around midnight.
>
> Here is the DSM.OPT file
>
> * Setting Options for the TCP/IP Communication Method
>
> TCPCLIENTADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx
> TCPSERVERADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx (tsm server ip)
> TCPPORT 1500
> HTTPPORT 1581
>
> errorlogretention 14
> schedlogretention 7
> Setting Nodename
>
> NODENAME XXXXX
> ERRORLOGNAME SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\dsmerror.log
> SCHEDLOGNAME SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\dsmsched.log
> PASSWORDDIR SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\password
>
> * EXCLUDE directory:.O=TIVOLI.*
> * INCLUDE directory:.O=TIVOLI.OU=Development.*
>
> DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -NDS -SYS: -VOL1:
> * DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
>
> * NetWare general excludes
> * ---------------------------------------------------------
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\secaudit.log
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\events.log
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\system.log
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\btrieve.trn
> * EXCLUDE SYS:\system\tsa\err$hst.*
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\tsa\err$log.*
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\tsa\skip$log.*
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\tsa\tsa$temp.*
> * EXCLUDE sys:\system\sys$log.err
> * EXCLUDE sys:\_swap_.mem
> * EXCLUDE sys:\vol$log.err
> * EXCLUDE sys:\tts$log.err
>
> exclude.dir poa:RESTORE
> exclude.dir nvol1:RESTORE
> exclude.dir mta:RESTORE
> exclude.dir gwia:RESTORE
>
> * NetWare Memory management option
>
> MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES
>
> * NWEXITNLMP NO
>
> managedservices schedule webclient
> * managedservices schedule
>
> schedmode prompted
>
> passwordaccess generate
>
> * NWUSER server_1_name\user\:password
> * NWUSER server_2_name\user:password
> * NWUSER nds_tree_name\user:password
>
> NWPWFILE YES
>
> * Resouce Utilization specifies the number of back end connections
> resourceutilization 8
>
> Quiet
> * VERBOSE
>
> Thanks for any help, suggestions or advice!
>
> Novell Client 5.2.2
> TSM Server 5.3.1.4
> AIX RS/6000

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.