ADSM-L

ANS1999E and ANS1030E

2005-09-15 16:55:14
Subject: ANS1999E and ANS1030E
From: "Bell, Charles (Chip)" <Chip.Bell AT BHSALA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:39:52 -0500
Client (W2K) 5.3.0.0

Server (AIX 5.2) 5.3.1.4

Receiving the below errors on one of our many nightly backups...

09/15/2005 03:21:53 ANS1999E Incremental processing of '\\r2wprodapp\f$'
stopped.

09/15/2005 03:21:53 ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request
for memory allocation.

09/15/2005 03:21:53 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'R2WPRODAPP_NIGHTLY'
failed.  Return code = 12.

Files inspected...

09/15/2005 03:21:53 Total number of objects inspected: 3,217,479

So now that you know my situation, I'm looking through things listed in
TSM's support knowledge base trying to figure what's best to do now. A
while back, we were getting these errors, and I set
MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP to YES, and it ran OK until recently. It seems to
error out near the end of the backup, and may in fact process all files
that it was supposed to. I can't tell. But seeing that it has to inspect
well over 3 million files, I'm wondering what I should do next. I tried
JBB on this guy, but it would abend. I wish JBB worked perfectly.   :^)
May have been user error on my part on that one. Have not tried
incr-by-date, and would prefer not going that route if at all possible,
considering the amount of files. Client has not had a crash in over a
year, and I believe it was an unrelated issue, so that rules out
IC43474.

Should I break the backup up into 2 separate backups? For instance, one
taking care of C:, D: and system objects, and the other getting F:? Or
should I set MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP back to NO? I see as I send this
IC46817 says that incr-by-date may be the way to go. What would be the
drawback of doing that in my case?

Any help is much appreciated!

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this email message is privileged and confidential
information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named in
the address.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this information in error, please notify
the sender and delete this information from your computer and retain no copies
of any of this information.