ADSM-L

Checking in scratch tapes which are in a library.

2005-09-15 14:24:09
Subject: Checking in scratch tapes which are in a library.
From: Michael Short <michael.short AT TOWERSPERRIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:23:11 -0400
I have a TSM server with a 3584 library. Before me, it was set up in the
normal tape pool and copy pools arrangement. However, because this is a
really lights out operation the copy tapes were not being ejected. So the
copypool tapes were no particularly good for DR and only usable for repair
of a primary volume.

The procedures were changed to stop the copies to the copypool and the
expirations were continued. Tapes which go to MOUNTABLE are changed to
VAULT and tapes which are VAULTRETRIEVE are changed to ONSITERETRIEVE.
However, it doesn't look like we can check in the tapes which were changed
to ONSITERETRIEVE. This is a shared library and TSM doesn't seem to allow
using the CHECKIN command with the SEARCH=YES specified.

What can be done to get these limbo tapes back into the scratch pool?

Thanks,
Mike
EDS
(215)246-4306

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential, proprietary or
legally privileged information. It is intended only for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not
use, read, retransmit, disseminate or take any action in reliance upon it.
Please notify the sender that you have received it in error and immediately
delete the entire communication, including any attachments. Although EDS
encrypts certain email where appropriate, EDS cannot ensure the
confidentiality or integrity of all external e-mail communications and,
therefore, cannot be responsible for any unauthorized access, disclosure,
use or tampering that may occur during transmission. This communication is
not intended to create or modify any obligation, contract or warranty of
EDS, unless the firm clearly expresses such an intent.