ADSM-L

Re: export import node metadata TSM database

2005-09-15 11:42:38
Subject: Re: export import node metadata TSM database
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:42:23 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Kurt Beyers
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:54 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: export import node metadata TSM database

Hi,

Is there any metadata of the exports stored in the TSM database?

==> Yes, the volser is retained in the VOLHIST file.

If I want to export eg two clients A and B to the same volume (eg a tape
vol001 that has enough space of course), can I specify twice the
command:

export node A filedata=backupactive devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001
export node B filedata=backupactive devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001

==> I don't believe TSM will let you do that; it SHOULD tell you that
vol001 is already in use.

Or must I specify

export node A,B filedata=backupactive devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001

to have both nodes exported to the same tape?

==> Yes, that is way to get both on the same tape.

And what if want to run an import of node B only for a restore from the
tape that contains the export of node A too with the command:

import node B filedata=backupactive devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001

Will it go directly to the point on the tape where the export of B has
been written or will it read the entire tape untill TSM finds the
beginning of the export of server B?

==> If you say

IMPORT NODE Devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001
    TSM will import all nodes on the tape

If you say

IMPORT NODE B devclass=<tape> VOL=vol001
   TSM will import only node B

As far as I know, TSM doesn't save any tape positioning information that
would let it skip to the data from B; I think it will read the whole
tape.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)