ADSM-L

Re: RES: Slow backups after TSM Server upgrade

2005-09-15 10:06:00
Subject: Re: RES: Slow backups after TSM Server upgrade
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:05:34 -0500
Probably a memory shortage. Undoubtedly the 64-bit version requires more
memory for larger internal tables and such. Add more memory to the
machine, and then add more Database Cache. This memory shortage could be
right at the edge when running the 32-bit version, so that any small
thing which increases memory requirements (such as conversion to the
64-bit version) could tip it over the edge and cause a major slowdown.
The performance effects of a memory shortage are NOT linear!

"Have you ever, like, tried to put together a bicycle in public? Or a
grill?" Astronauts David Wolf and Piers Sellers, explaining the
difficulties encountered in attaching equipment to the Space Station

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Paul van Dongen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   I got something like this some time ago. When I installed 5.2 (don't
remember the exact level) 64bit on a 64bit AIX 5.1 kernel, things were
going slow and CPU use was very high. Just for curiosity I uninstalled
the server and installed the 32bit version, without changing anything on
the OS. To my surprise, CPU util dropped sharply and everything
(backups, expiration) ran much faster.