ADSM-L

Re: Question about DR TSM site

2005-09-14 21:34:37
Subject: Re: Question about DR TSM site
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:34:22 -0400
==> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:08:21 +0200, Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT
DE> said:

> "Stapleton, Mark" wrote:
>> Virtual volume usage requires not only the server where the data physically
>> resides, but also the server that created the virtual volumes in the first
>> place. Otherwise there will be no access to the data.

> I have 2 questions on this: If you only got the virtual volumes because the
> primary place ( library+tsm-server) ist completely destroyed ... but you got
> the tsm-db recreated on some box -> you will have access to the data through
> the virtual volumes.

Yes, correct.  If the 'local' server and data are destroyed, you can restore
that server instance with a DB backup, DEVCONFIG and VOLHIST and such.

> question1: can the recreation of the primary data only be done using the
> same Hardware - same library , same drives ?

No, you can restore onto different tech.  I've done this; my TEST server
started with data on 3590s, with copy stgpools on SERVER volumes somewhere
else.  I administratively destroyed the server (rmlv the database, etc) and
set it up on a different machine.  Step one was to restore the database from
the SERVER devclass, then I could do some restores which directly accessed the
SERVER devclass copy pools, then I restored the primary stgpools, onto DISK
stgpools.

> why should the primary pool not be recreated on an alternative >
> remote-tsm-server, just using virtual volumes of that server ?  > I thought
> virtual volumes on remote server could be used for primary-pools ?

You certainly could do this.  I think it would be laborious and inefficient.
If you had a long lead time before you could get any new hardware, though, it
could be worth it.

About the only win I could think of is that if your copy stgpools are
non-collocated (common decision), you could restore to collocated, but still
remote, stgpools.  This could improve your locality of reference for restore
activity, but again it represents a LOT of work for relatively small gain.
I'd suggest using that time and effort to acquire new hardware, any hardware,
even if you have to beg borrow or steal it.  Maybe by stealing your bosses'
laptop or something. ;)

- Allen S. Rout