ADSM-L

What are the correct steps when moving slots from one partition to 2nd partition

2005-09-14 16:10:42
Subject: What are the correct steps when moving slots from one partition to 2nd partition
From: Nancy L Backhaus <Backhaus.Nancy AT HEALTHNOW DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:10:19 -0400
TSM Version 5.2.3.5
AIX O/S 5.3
Library - ADIC I2000 Scalar, partitioned library,10 drive & 2 drive
IBM drives -LTO 2

We had to move slots over from one partition to the other(due to high
utilization), pending slot/drive order.

What is the correct procedure?

Steps:
Killed all processes/sessions
audited the library (audit library ltolib checklabel=barcode, it was a
successful)
halted tsm(both instances)
Library partitions taken offline
Vendor changed slots
TSM brought up
show slots library - recognized the 24 new slots, but showed the slots
being unavailable(only the new ones)

ran an audit-the audit failed(couldn't recognize the new slots)

We then redefined the library, and restarted tsm, then started processes,
but then tapes wouldn't mount, although the library client would show the
tapes in the drive.  I killed the processes, but the process wouldn't
complete until the tape eventually did mount in the drive, then the
process would cancel.  We reran the audit library- this time it show the
new slots(barcode something -looked better than unavailable)
then re-ran the audit, it was successful ,but still the tapes wouldn't
mount
So the library vendor had to reboot the i/o blade, kicked off a
process...and the tape mounted quickly after that.

It appears that I missed a step somewhere(although IBM stated that was the
correct procedure, and that pending the library model, the library might
need to be rebooted).

Nancy Backhaus
Enterprise Systems
Backhaus.Nancy AT HealthNow DOT org
Office: (716) 887-7979
Cell: (716)  609-2138

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential,
trade secret or privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law.  If you
are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
message to an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original
message.