ADSM-L

Reclamation/Audits running slow

2005-09-14 15:38:19
Subject: Reclamation/Audits running slow
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:37:55 -0400
Good Afternoon.
We are running TSM 5.2.2 server/client with an IBM LTO tape
library(LTO2).
We currently have around 130 clients, 9.2TB of data.
I was watching reclamation yesterday by accident since it's not
something I regularly check and noticed it seemed to take a long time to
run so I ran a select command to collect times.  I'm not sure if they
are considered normal or not but they seemed long for around 100GB of
data.

I noticed today that when the reclamation kicked off it took around 51
minutes for it to start moving data and sometimes it goes through the
data(moving) fast then slows right down to 10-15 minutes before anything
happens to data move of 2 or 3MB
We have both Windows and UNIX(SUN/AIX) clients.
Is there a way I can check to see if there is a problem while it is
running.  Nothing at all shows up in the activity log.
When I ran the select to check the TAPEPOOL it does seem to run much
faster.  I might be worried about nothing but I wanted to check it out
just to be sure.  When the server was newer with less clients it seemed
to run AUDITS and Reclamation much faster(understand more usually means
slower).
Our backups seem to run fast(diskpool to tape) so it seems to get to the
drives without a problem.

Running select command to view COPYPOOL RECLAMATIONS

START_TIME: 2005-08-23 08:00:05.000000
  END_TIME: 2005-08-23 10:20:19.000000
    NUMBER: 1631
    ENTITY: COPYPOOL3 (LM2002)