ADSM-L

Re: Backup windows File server

2005-09-14 11:35:36
Subject: Re: Backup windows File server
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:34:54 -0400
Chantal,

Sounds like TSM journaling would fit your needs.
We have several 2003 fileservers with 10mil+ files and 3TB+ (but a lot
of this are huge .pst files).
Journaling will at least eliminate the filesystem "trawling" that
normally happens for incrementals.
Be aware that you may need to "tune" the journal config file for
specific excludes, buffer sizes, etc.
Also keep an eye on the service & logs, as some situations will cause
the journal service to abend and dump - again, an indication that tuning
is needed.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee