ADSM-L

Re: generate full backup using backupsets

2005-09-13 17:35:41
Subject: Re: generate full backup using backupsets
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:35:12 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Kurt Beyers
>Due to SLA agreements a full backup should be taken every
>month that is stored offsite for a year. Of course this does
>not match with the principles 'incremental forever' and the
>versioning defined in the management classes.
>
>I guess that a full backup can be created from the backups
>already residing in the primary storage pool using a backupset.
>
>Would such a setup be feasible for 75 clients (load on the TSM
>server, required time to generate the backupsets, ...)? Can it
>be used for backups from a TDP too? Any howto's for the
>creation of a backupset?

A suggestion:

Run a full archive of 3 clients each day for a month, so that you can
spread out the 75 full backups. Set your archive management class to
keep any given archive for a year. Send those archives to a (small) disk
pool which in turn is migrated to an archive tape pool. Once a month
check those archive tapes out and vault them. After a full 12 months in
the vault, that month's tapes can come to the TSM server as scratch
tapes.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627