ADSM-L

Re: Question about DR TSM site

2005-09-13 17:09:34
Subject: Re: Question about DR TSM site
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:09:01 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Jon Evans
>Following on from this... If you had a failure of one of the libraries
>(say it burnt!) and the primary storage pool is lost, would it be
>possible to have a second TSM server (other than the one that owns the
>storage pool) take care of recreating the primary pool from the copy
>pool?.. in other words, take the processing required to recreate the
>primary storage pool away from the production TSM server, and
>hand it to
>another server that's not so busy? I have read through the manual on
>virtual volumes, and it seems
>That this is maybe possible, but I'm not sure.. can anyone confirm if
>this is the case?

No, that's exactly what you *can't* do with virtual volumes. Virtual
volume usage requires not only the server where the data physically
resides, but also the server that created the virtual volumes in the
first place. Otherwise there will be no access to the data.

Offhand, I can't think of any way to do what you're proposing. You could
use a TSM db backup to rebuild the TSM server on another box, attach the
library to it, and run TSM on the new server.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627