ADSM-L

Re: LTO2 3580 drives and SAN switch port types

2005-09-13 10:15:49
Subject: Re: LTO2 3580 drives and SAN switch port types
From: Jin Bae Chi <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:15:05 -0400
These drives are FC-AL, which tells you they are loop devices. On the switch,
you should see as L-port. Please refer to prod doc for first troubleshooting
and if you need, send the output of 'SupportShow' to IBM.

Gus

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
System Administrator
Data Center, CSCC
614-287-5270
614-287-5488 Fax
jbaechi AT cscc DOT edu

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 9/12/2005 12:29 PM >>>

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer, when it comes to the
above.

We recently connected two additional 3580 drives to our IBM 2109-S08 SAN
switch.  They seemed to connect OK but now one of them has lost
connectivity and we haven't been able to figure it out (trying to open it
with AIX tapeutil failes with a code=50).

As we were investigating the switches, we noticed that for some reason,
some of the PORT definitions for the LTO drives appear as N-TYPE and
NL-TYPE.

What is the distinction between the NL and N and how is that defined ? The
drive with the problem is coming across as a N-TYPE when everyone else
seems to be an NL-type.

Yes, I have updates the firmware on all drives to the latest.  There are
two 3580 libraries. One is at 6.03 and the other at 6.01, FWIW !