ADSM-L

Re: Update the AIX 3494 atldd.driver

2005-09-13 10:03:20
Subject: Re: Update the AIX 3494 atldd.driver
From: Bob Booth - CITES <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:03:06 -0500
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 12:53:37PM +0200, Herrmann, Boris wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I want to upgrade the 3494 Tape Library driver (atldd.driver). Today we have
> the Version 5.3.0.0. I downloaded the latest version (atldd.6.2.4.0.bin)
> from the IBM ftp site with a readme file. Have anyone experience with the
> update procedure? Have I to uninstall the previous driver deamon? What
> happend with the AIX drive definitions? I don't find such information in the
> readme file. There is only this installing information : "Issue the command:
> installp -acXd /temp/atldd.x.x.x.bin atldd.driver"
>
> Any help is appreciated.

The atldd driver is only for the library, not the drives.  The 'atape' driver
is for the drives.

For atldd:

Place the .bin file in a directory, cd into that directory,  and as root
run 'inutoc .'  Then do a smit update_all.  Choose '.' as the source.

Make sure that you at least stop activity to the library, since this will stop
and restart the lm daemon.

If you have to do the atape, they are done the same way as atldd, but you need
to make sure that the drives are not in use at the time.  The drives can't
be deleted when a tape is mounted, or they are 'online' to an application.

cheers,

bob