ADSM-L

Re: Question about DR TSM site

2005-09-12 20:51:45
Subject: Re: Question about DR TSM site
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:51:24 -0400
==> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:49:43 -0500, "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT
BERBEE DOT COM> said:

> There is a temptation to set up server-to-server communication instead to do
> this, but if you do you have the added complexity of virtual volumes to deal
> with, plus the fact that both TSM servers must be up for virtual volumes to
> be of any use.

This one confuses me; if you have shared library (i.e. libtype=SHARED) doesn't
that mean the remote TSM server still has to be up, to serve mounts, broker
drive access, etc?

If you're using a partition on the 3584 (with which configuration I'm
unfamilliar) can drives move dynamically from one partition to the other?

> Shared libraries are easy to set up on the 3584, and (as you mentioned)
> there is no tape shuffling required for DR purposes. This makes much more
> sense than backing up each client twice (once to each server) and wastes
> much less tape and fiber bandwidth.

What's the maximum practical range on this?  I didn't think you could do FC
beyond about 100 miles, but I may just be behind the times.

- Allen S. Rout