ADSM-L

Novell backup performance

2005-09-12 13:43:38
Subject: Novell backup performance
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:43:16 -0400
Hello,

We have a Novell client who's backup is taking to long
We added the Resourceutilization line (8) to the dsm.opt file
but it's still taking long. Does anyone have any suggestions
on what  else I might take a look at or do that would help improve
the backup time. The backup starts around midnight.

Here is the DSM.OPT file

*  Setting Options for the TCP/IP Communication Method

     TCPCLIENTADDRESS        xx.xx.xx.xx
     TCPSERVERADDRESS        xx.xx.xx.xx  (tsm server ip)
     TCPPORT                 1500
     HTTPPORT                1581

  errorlogretention 14
  schedlogretention 7
  Setting Nodename

NODENAME                  XXXXX
ERRORLOGNAME   SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\dsmerror.log
SCHEDLOGNAME   SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\dsmsched.log
PASSWORDDIR    SYS:Tivoli\TSM\CLIENT\BA\password

* EXCLUDE          directory:.O=TIVOLI.*
* INCLUDE          directory:.O=TIVOLI.OU=Development.*

DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -NDS -SYS: -VOL1:
* DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

*  NetWare general excludes
*  ---------------------------------------------------------
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\secaudit.log
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\events.log
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\system.log
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\btrieve.trn
* EXCLUDE          SYS:\system\tsa\err$hst.*
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\err$log.*
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\skip$log.*
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\tsa\tsa$temp.*
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\sys$log.err
* EXCLUDE          sys:\_swap_.mem
* EXCLUDE          sys:\vol$log.err
* EXCLUDE          sys:\tts$log.err

exclude.dir poa:RESTORE
exclude.dir nvol1:RESTORE
exclude.dir mta:RESTORE
exclude.dir gwia:RESTORE

*  NetWare Memory management option

 MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES

* NWEXITNLMP NO

managedservices schedule webclient
* managedservices schedule

 schedmode prompted

passwordaccess generate

* NWUSER server_1_name\user\:password
* NWUSER server_2_name\user:password
* NWUSER nds_tree_name\user:password

NWPWFILE YES

*  Resouce Utilization specifies the number of back end connections
resourceutilization 8

 Quiet
* VERBOSE

Thanks for any help, suggestions or advice!

Novell Client 5.2.2
TSM Server 5.3.1.4
AIX  RS/6000