ADSM-L

Question about DR TSM site

2005-09-12 10:24:15
Subject: Question about DR TSM site
From: Aaron Durkee <ADurkee AT CHSBUFFALO DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:23:52 -0400
Hi All,
  I have a question about design from my boss ...

  We have TSM 5.3.1.4 running on a pseries, AIX 5.3 located in the main data
center with most of the servers and a 3584 tape library, site a.
  We want to install a new pseries running the same version of aix and tsm with
a spanking new 3854 at another data center site b.
  The vision was to have the servers at site a backup to site b, and the
servers at site b to backup to site a, cross backups so, when the backup
completes in its nature its already off site.
  Then we were gonna partition the libraries and generate the copypool at
original site for the data.
  We also have all kinds of toys, like dark fiber, a fibre channel long
distance solution, brocade switches, emc clariion at each site and the like.
There are plans to mirror tsm at the aix logical volume level between the sites
and share the logically partitioned libraries, also between sites.

   Ok then,

What my Director wants to know if anybody out there, rather then having the
complexity of fiber channel is simply backing up their clients twice, once to a
tsm instance at each site?  What pitfalls are seen?  Also, there was an
objection to copypool for each instance (four copies of the data) is there
anyway to protect against media failure without copypool?

  Any input from the community is appreciated ... thanks in advance ...

Aaron Durkee
Infrastructure Analyst
Networking and Technical Group
Catholic Health Systems, Inc.