ADSM-L

Re: A quick question about stgpool.

2005-09-10 15:39:58
Subject: Re: A quick question about stgpool.
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:39:05 -0500
This issue is discussed regularly, both within Tivoli and among Tivoli,
business partners, and users.

The largest technical issue with doing this is the issue of aggregates.
When TSM backs files up, it does so by aggregating files together and
sending those aggregates to storage pools. To be able to retain active
versions of files in one storage pool while sending inactive copies to
cheaper or less-available pools would require massively and regularly
tearing aggregates apart. This would just about negate the advantages of
aggregates altogther.

I don't know personally how large an impact that would have on overall
TSM response time, but I've been told by Tivoli developers that the
difference would be "orders of magnitude"; at that point, I said, "Oh.
Never mind."

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627