ADSM-L

Re: A quick question about stgpool.

2005-09-09 19:55:59
Subject: Re: A quick question about stgpool.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:55:49 -0400
==> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:02:55 -0500, "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT
DOT COM> said:

> I have been following this thread.  At first I was a little confused by
> what you were trying to accomplish.  I think I understand now what you
> want to do.  One way to get something similar to this would be to create
> a backupset and use a device type of file.  Backupsets do not restore as
> fast as image backups but they do have some advantages.  You might want
> to look at the pros and cons of this before you go forward.

This is a good strategy for generating a snapshot of active files, but keep in
mind that it will require copying every file associated with the client in
question, every time you run the backupset.

We've had several customers ask for something similiar to this, though they
usually want the backupset on removable media.

- Allen S. Rout