ADSM-L

Re: Client install id

2005-09-09 16:49:01
Subject: Re: Client install id
From: David W Litten <dlitten AT DUKE-ENERGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:48:12 -0400
Larry,

There are problems with Domain Controllers running 5.3 client, that are
supposed to be addressed by the 5.3.1 release, where system objects don't
get backed up unless the copy group  they are using is set to Dynamic
serialization.

As long as the ID you are using has local admin rights on the client
machines you should not run into any problems with the install. Local admin
is required in order to give you update rights to the registry. Any of the
ID's you've mentioned will work as long as they are in the local
administrators group on the  client machines.

I have seen problems with other software installs if the built-in, local
Administrator ID is not used. But, I have not seen any issues when
installing TSM with any id within the local Administrators group.

david

             Larry Peifer
             <[email protected]
             CE.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .edu>                     [ADSM-L] Client install id

             09/09/2005 04:35
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .edu>

We're installing 90 TSM 5.3 clients on a mix of W2K and W2K3 servers.
These are all new - 1st time installs.  Several are domain controllers and
several are clustered for failover.    Looks to me like we have several
choices for ID's to use for installs: Local Administrator ID, Domain
Administrator ID, and members of the Administrator group.  We run Journal,
Schedule, and Web services.  All passwords for all IDs mentioned above get
changed every 90 days per Corporate IT Security mandate.  What pros / cons
are there for using a particular ID to install with?