ADSM-L

Re: AD Backup -- creation date

2005-09-09 08:34:20
Subject: Re: AD Backup -- creation date
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:32:58 -0400
A file is created in a file system by an application program.
Conventionally, the creating program allows the operating system to
timestamp the file. If that was the case here, then it would suggest
that the system clock on that system was frotzed. Alternately, a
creating program can meddle with timestamps - unusual, but possible.
And, there can be the dramatic human interventions by junior
administrators...

I would have that client system checked out. You probably have other,
similar systems and backup files to compare it to, which may be
illuminating.

I'm not aware of a TSM defect which could contribute to this, so I
would look to the system involved as the principal cause of the
issue. If no TSM defect, then it was simply the case that TSM backed
up the data in full fidelity, and you ended up with what was there at
the time. You could try restoring a test case and see what the client
administrator can do with that.

   Richard Sims