ADSM-L

Re: backup stgpool -- everything offsite

2005-09-09 01:15:29
Subject: Re: backup stgpool -- everything offsite
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:15:12 +1000
Allen,

Excuse the obvious question, but what happens if there is a disaster
at the *remote* site?  Whilst you'll still have your current disk
copies of everything, you'll lose all your historical stuff, and
those "never to be deleted" backups that managers are so attached
to.  You'll also have no capacity to perform day to day backups
without the remote site, should it be out for an extended period.

Finally, you are also making your whole strategy dependent on
something over which you have no control, ie, the reliability and
redundancy of the network carrier.  I wouldn't trust any of our local
ones in the long term, as I'm sure some bean-counter will pare their
maintenance budget past the minumum, and network failures *will* result.

Regards

Steve.

AIX and TSM Admin
Sydney Australia