ADSM-L

EMC CELERRA backup options - need feedback

2005-09-08 09:54:53
Subject: EMC CELERRA backup options - need feedback
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:54:34 -0400
I am looking for information/guidance/suggestions/sanity-checks on my
current project involving backing up an EMC CELERRA NAS.

Originally, I was told to approach this as an NDMP backup.  The more we
look at the drawbacks/limitation of TSM NDMP backups vs what we need to be
able to do with the backups, we are looking at alternative methods for
backups.

Our scenario for the NAS is going to be like this:
1. 300GB to start - up to 3TB.
2. Multiple different clients, both real servers (Windows and *NIX) and
"virtual server" connections
3. Lots of workstations connecting to the NAS via AD group
policies/"virtual server mountpoints" to redirect their "My Documents" to
the NAS.

We need granularity of control over who can restore what from the TSM
backups. The NDMP method doesn't seem to be able to handle this.
We need to perform offsite backup copies (i.e. DR, audit requirements)
which the NDMP method makes painful (snapshots......backing up twice).

So, how do you backup your CELERRA ?