ADSM-L

An interesting lesson to be learned ( all is not what it seems)

2005-09-08 09:07:02
Subject: An interesting lesson to be learned ( all is not what it seems)
From: "Giglio, Paul" <Paul.Giglio AT EMICAP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:11:15 -0400
To all of those TSMrs /system admins that have exhausted all of your avenues
trying to fix something only to find out it wasn't even a problem on your
system...

READ ON .....

July 15 2005
TSM server is running on a multiple SP-node ( two silver nodes)
One primary and one secondary backup running HAcmp
AIX 4.3.3.11, Soon to be retired ( OCT 2005) thank god
TSm 5.1.6 running for server
Clients
In particular for this problem H70 running 4.3.3 TSM Client 5.1.6
DB is Sybase Version 12.0
TDP is BMC Sql Backtrack running 4.2.0 ( my dream is for TSm to come with
there own)

Scenario.
All other servers (rs6000) backup fine
Except all of a sudden this one server.
540 megs transferred in 12 hours,
Stg pools aren't even going past 5 percent
That same week we got hit with WIN2K virus (zbot)
ALSO that same day before an internal disk on the Server node had gone bad.
This disk was a mirror of a lv.
It had copies of tsm dbvol,dblog and two copies of raw disk ( /dev/rstg_disk
class in TSM)

So Like I said the  day after this disk is changed the client server above
H70 suddenly stops backing up.
The only error in ADSM error log is broken pipe
The same error in BMC only a little more detailed tcp (rc 50) broken pipe
My first thought is network issues
I call my network group they check out everything a say no problems ...

My second thought is i messed up the disk replacement.

So I call IBM AIX/TSm support and go over every possible part of the TSM
server... No problems
IBM AIX support kernel group all disk systems check out fine

Turns out its ok
So why was my backup failing
Next step call BMC ( somebody should of warned me)
1 week into it
BMC insists we are out of support and must upgrade.
I explain to them we have 3 other servers identical that are running this
same setup fine.
So I go ahead upgrade there software
NO better.

3 weeks later
I call my network engineer again only to find out that the virus fix forced
all the Network servers and IP settings in the routers to go to 100 full.

Once the put it to auto negotiate my system went back to normal\\

To say the least I feel like a deflated balloon
And have no faith In BMC since there group insisted on the problem being
software out of support
At least IBM was pointing to network issues, But I was up against a wall
until it actually got proven.

I believe my network group might actually take this more series next time,
when I ask them to check out there settings.
I still have not gotten the exact reason why the settings changed.

Regards
A deflated
TSm admin

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender
immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The
unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly
forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group plc.

Registered Office: 27 Wrights Lane, London W8 5SW

Registered in England No 229231.