ADSM-L

TSM for System Backup and Recovery restore issues

2005-09-07 17:54:12
Subject: TSM for System Backup and Recovery restore issues
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:53:52 -0500
Server
TSM 5.2.2.5 running on AIX 5.2
NIM master
TSM4SBR 5.6.5.0

Client
AIX 5.2
TSM Client 5.2.2.14 (or whatever is fairly recent in the 5.2.2.x range)
TSM4SBR 5.6.5.0

I have been successful creating the TSM4SBR System Image backup of the
"Client" to the virtual TSM device, and verified that the backups exist
as a /TSM4SBR filespace in the "Server's" storage pools.
I have installed TSM4SBR into the NIM SPOT assigned to this Client,
rebuilt the Network Boot Image, and reallocated the SPOT and
LPP_Resource to the Client via the NIM Master's SMIT panels.
I have been successful booting the client from the network, pointing the
client to the NIM Master's IP address as a bootp server.  I have
received the TSM for System Backup and Recovery Installation and
Maintenance screen after boot.  The "Installation Device" is "[not
set]".  When I use the menu option to "Change Installation Device", I
receive the next panel that is mostly blank, and indicates "There are no
tape drives or network devices available to install from." (bad grammar,
IBM).  Examples of this panel in the manual indicate there might be CD,
Tape, and a "tsmdev" device listed.  Nothing is listed.

What am I missing?  Where do I set or define the "installation devices"
available to a boot image.  I assume I will have to rebuild the boot
image once I make that definition.
Using the NIM Master's smit panels, I have tried entering network
identifiers (ent1, etc) into the "Software Install Device" field of
different "Install Client Defaults" panels, but that has not helped.

Any help would be appreciated.  If you think you could help better via a
phone call, I can place that call.  Email me directly with your phone
number.
Thanks in advance,

Todd Lundstedt
Via Christi Regional Medical Center