ADSM-L

Re: Node attribute change

2005-09-07 08:51:10
Subject: Re: Node attribute change
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:50:14 -0400
On Sep 7, 2005, at 3:28 AM, Large, M (Matthew) wrote:

Hi SMers,

I picked up this message last night after a scheduled event failed,
but
I was not expecting to read what I read:
06-09-2005 17:43:33 ANR1639I Attributes changed for node CHEETAH: TCP
Address from 172.17.40.228 to 172.17.44.56. (SESSION: 3310)
06-09-2005 17:43:42 ANR0403I Session 3310 ended for node CHEETAH
(AIX).
(SESSION: 3310)
07-09-2005 01:01:12 ANR2716E Schedule prompter was not able to contact
client CHEETAH using type 1 (172.17.40.228 1501). (SESSION: 623)

It would make sense if TSM had attempted to contact the client with
the
new TCP address, but it tried on the old TCP address. My question is,
why?

More inspection of your configuration may reveal the answer.
Perform a detailed Query Node on that client, and see if the
High-level Address has a hard-coded network address in it.

You suggest that your scheduled backups are overnight.  In that case,
the 17:43 contact would seem to have been manually invoked.  That would
have set the node's TCP/IP Address value to the session origination
address, but would not change the node's High-level Address.

There is much we don't know about intervening events.  You may want to
perform Activity Log research.  Also review the client's options file
for its settings.

We also don't know from your posting whether these IPaddresses both
reflect the same physical client, which may have multiple NICs,
participating in two (private, non-routed) subnets.  If this is the
same client, then the larger issue is why the server prompted schedule
could not contact a scheduler process within the client: maybe
firewall issues, maybe no process running, or no CAD.
On the other hand, these may be two different computers, both posing
as CHEETAH, which is not good.

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs