ADSM-L

Image back-up for file-server yes/no (what is the best strategy)

2005-09-06 04:06:09
Subject: Image back-up for file-server yes/no (what is the best strategy)
From: Mike Hagery <mhagery AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:05:57 +0000
Hello,

TSM-server AIX 5.2, TSM 5.2.4.0
TSM-client W2K, TSM 5.2.4.3

We are looking to connect our file-servers to TSM in stead of ArcServe. As
part of this we are also looking for the best DR-strategy.

We did some testing with a small file-server (100 GB) and we see no
difference in throughput between a 'normal' restore (restoring incremental
back-ups) and the combination image/incremental back-ups.

One of the biggest advantage of an image, I can imagine, is a better
throughput after a couple of months using incremental back-ups because in
case of a DR it don't have to search the database. But instead of an image
you can also make from time to time a selective back-up.

What is/are the biggest advantage(s) of using an image back-up, if you are
looking to restore performance?
And from what size or amounts of files you get this advantage(s)?
Any thoughts/experiences (better)?

I know that it has only one entry in the database, but that's for the
server.

Thanx,

Mike H.