ADSM-L

Re: Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives

2005-09-01 13:57:35
Subject: Re: Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:56:48 -0400
Well, this is interesting, namely the LTO1/LTO3 part.

I have 3584 with all 3 classes of LTO in it.  Just added
LTO3.  Have some problems.  Have checked docs all over
with no useful info.  Have opened PMR with Tivoli.

Haven't got "clean answers" yet.  My first thing was that LTO3
tapes when labeled had 8 char volser and LTO1 & 2 still had 6!
All in ONE logical library.

Tivoli says LTO1 and LTO3 can't be distinguished in same library.
And a coulple of other similar comments that they haven't given
me doc reference for.  Huh?

I have IBM Top Gun here today working on separate machine
and I asked him  about this.   He said he might have some info he
would look up.

I also have an idea about something I tried a couple of weeks
ago that I need to modify slightly and try again.  Don't like to make
changes on Friday - I am taking next 4 days off.

So, I will further explain middle to end of next week.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA 08/31/05 3:16 PM >>>
Hi:

We are looking at upgrading one of our 3584 libraries to all LTO2 drives
(we currently have a mix of LTO1 and LTO2 drives) and use a mixture of
LTO1 and LTO2 media (we currently only use LTO1 media).

The admin guide states:

Mixed Media and Storage Pools:

You cannot mix media formats in a storage pool. This includes LTO1 and
LTO2 formats. Each unique media format must be mapped to a separate
storage pool through its own device class.

We want to continue using LTO1 media (reading and writing) and also use
LTO2 media (using the full capacity) - all with LTO2 drives.

So I think one way of doing this is to setup a device class specifying
ULTRIUMC and another with ULTRIUM2C and then point stgpools with the
appropriate device class.

If this is done, can scratch tapes be used for both stgpools?

Will TSM just use LTO1 media for the ULTRIUMC stgpool and only use LTO2
media with the ULTRIUM2C stgpool?

If there were no LTO1 media, would TSM use LTO2 media for the ULTRIUMC
stgpool (writing in LTO1 format)?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.