ADSM-L

Re: Monthly full backups with MODE=ABSOLUTE

2005-09-01 12:21:22
Subject: Re: Monthly full backups with MODE=ABSOLUTE
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:20:51 -0400
On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:21 AM, William Boyer wrote:

I have a client with requirements for full monthly backups being
retained for 7-years. 2-years ago we set them up with monthly
schedules in a domain with the copygroups set to MODE=ABSOLUTE. Now
these backups are running forever and I think it has to do with so
many versions of the files and an INCREMENTAL schedule. The admin
of ths shop has said that the monthly backups take longer each month.

Bill - What does your historical server information
       (ANE msgs, accounting records) reveal about trending for
that client?  More data / more files?  I would not expect a client
to remain static, so typical growth would make backups take longer.
Beyond that are all the usual backup performance factors...worth
pursuing, as the ultimate objective of all the backups is the
ability to perform a wholesale restoral, and if that takes a lot
longer than the powerful expect, it could be a bad experience
all around.

   Richard Sims