ADSM-L

Re: Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives - small correction

2005-08-31 22:24:44
Subject: Re: Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives - small correction
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:24:34 -0400
We have a 3584 with LTO-2 drives and a single device class with FORMAT=DRIVE. I
mix LTO1 and LTO2 media in the library with no
problems. IF you do a Q LIBV F=D you can see the media type off to the right.
When TSM mounts and LTO1 tape you see the default
estcap for that type of tape. And the same for LTO2 tapes.

I even have a 3583 with mixed LTO1 drives and a single LTO3 drive. Now that
system I have 2 devclasses with FORMAT=ULTRIUMC and
ULTRIUM3C and different storage pools. Since LTO1 is only read compatible with
LTO3 drives. I had my devclasses set to FORMAT=DRIVE
over a weekend and got some really strange storage pool volume assignments.
Won't do that again! Everything worked, but I got LTO1
tapes in my stgpool that I thought would still be LTO3 tapes.

Bill Boyer
"Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield" - ??