ADSM-L

Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives

2005-08-31 15:17:04
Subject: Mixed media (LTO1 and LTO2) with LTO2 Drives
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:16:42 -0500
Hi:

We are looking at upgrading one of our 3584 libraries to all LTO2 drives
(we currently have a mix of LTO1 and LTO2 drives) and use a mixture of
LTO1 and LTO2 media (we currently only use LTO1 media).

The admin guide states:

Mixed Media and Storage Pools:

You cannot mix media formats in a storage pool. This includes LTO1 and
LTO2 formats. Each unique media format must be mapped to a separate
storage pool through its own device class.

We want to continue using LTO1 media (reading and writing) and also use
LTO2 media (using the full capacity) - all with LTO2 drives.

So I think one way of doing this is to setup a device class specifying
ULTRIUMC and another with ULTRIUM2C and then point stgpools with the
appropriate device class.

If this is done, can scratch tapes be used for both stgpools?

Will TSM just use LTO1 media for the ULTRIUMC stgpool and only use LTO2
media with the ULTRIUM2C stgpool?

If there were no LTO1 media, would TSM use LTO2 media for the ULTRIUMC
stgpool (writing in LTO1 format)?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg