ADSM-L

Solution to RE: Error starting TSM server after upgrade

2005-08-18 11:00:22
Subject: Solution to RE: Error starting TSM server after upgrade
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:01:22 -0500

     Yesterday I posted to the list about an error message that was generating when our TSM Server came back on-line after an upgrade to 5.2.2.  Those error messages were causing other error messages during the Expiration process and seemed to be slowing down the Expiration process (my hope is that getting rid of these errors will solve the slow-down problem of the Expiration process...I won't be sure however until I get rid of the messages :~)
     We opened an ETR with IBM yesterday afternoon and there was already a response when I came in this morning.  Someone expressed interest in the solution if we found one so I will post an edited version of IBM's response.  Because our TSM Server is on an MVS/ZOS mainframe, some things are done differently than other platforms but the gist of it is the same.

The error messages are the result of a corrupt entry in the TSM Server database.  The ANR9999D's callchain indicates that the TSM server's migration thread is working to try and calculate space in the tapepool to run a disk to tape migration.  In that process, the TSM server must access the AF.Custers table. It is in this table that there is an orphaned entry causing the error messages to be logged in the activity log.

To fix the problem, you will have to remove the orphaned entry.  The way to do this is with audit of the TSM server's database.  This is an off-line process, during which the TSM server is down.

In short run an

AUDITDB ARCHSTORAGE FIX=NO

Once the process is complete, restart the server normally.

I'm scheduling time to do this today, I have a regularly scheduled Expiration process done on Fridays… before each weekend.   I will post the results on the list…. and if it really was affecting the Expiration process time.

As always,
Thank You
Shannon

Madison Gas & Electric Co
Operations Analyst -Data Center Services
Information Management Systems
sbach AT mge DOT com