ADSM-L

Re: JR- Backup sets

2005-08-17 18:27:37
Subject: Re: JR- Backup sets
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:25:32 +0000

Trimark

there is no best practice for creating a backup set for windows or NetWare. I guess you know how to make them, but how frequiently and on witch media is entirely based on case by case basis. it´s kinda like asking what your favorate color is, it varies form administrator to administrator and from one customer to another and varies even from client importance to another. I myself would find it good practice to make backupsets of system partitions and make them on media that dont not require adtional drivers during basic install (only deviceses that are supported in the Harware Qompatability List  in windows) of the system, DVD for instance, I would make sequental acces disk pool that has max size of 4.6 gig volumes (or the maximum dvd size you have) and burn it on DVD, that way is not good of course if you have large filesystems to make backupsets. but this is only my opinion and is by no means the right way or beter than any other. Just go with what you think will be enugh for you.

"It´s better to aim at perfection and miss than it is to aim at imperfection and hit it"
Founder Thomas J. Watson

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S · TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

JR Trimark <j.r.trimark AT AURORA DOT ORG>

17.08.2005 15:17
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[ADSM-L] JR- Backup sets

What is the best practice for the creation of backup sets for Windows and
NetWare?
thanks in advance