ADSM-L

Re: AW: [ADSM-L] Migration Speed Has Plummeted

2005-08-17 12:53:30
Subject: Re: AW: [ADSM-L] Migration Speed Has Plummeted
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:51:31 +0000
Joni

Yes Reed is correct there.

This is only one of 3 problems, your raid configuration on your sata
disks. the size of your TSM attrigates. or the placements of diskvolumes
versus the accual phicial disks. for instance if you have more than 2
volumes per phicial disk and you are doing backup on eatch volume you will
hit a bottleneck on the I/O because of the head of the disk will be doing
nothing more than jumping from one write operation to another. the same
goes with read to tape.

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced
Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S ·
TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
17.08.2005 16:17
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Migration Speed Has Plummeted

Joni

I missed the URL off the last post, so firstly, here it is

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246638.pdf

I don't think that there is a maximum number of volumes that can be
configured in a primary storagepool with a devclass of disk and random.
We have 25 volumes that are 35GB each in size, for a total of 875GB. But
I must stress that this is on FastT disk which are FC.
I have seen postings where people have considerably more volumes
defined. However, as posts have said, the SATA disks are designed for
their 'sequential' nature and I believe that the more concurrent
reads/writes that you put through them, the performance degrades.

You say that you have 1TB of SATA disk, but you don't mention the
size/number of the disks.
For example, if the 1TB was comprised of 4 x 250GB drives, it may well
be worth only configuring 4 migration threads, to maximise the
sequential nature of the disks. Ie 1 disk sequentially writing to one
tape. Again, this is only theory, as I don't know that the internals of
TSM will function in this way.

Also, I haven't considered whether or not you have RAID'd the disks. You
mention that it is EMC disk and I assume that it is from the CX range.
It may well be worth speaking to EMC to ask if you can tune the
performance of the controllers for the type of I/O that TSM is doing.

Leigh