ADSM-L

Re: HELP!!!! Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!

2005-08-17 12:27:29
Subject: Re: HELP!!!! Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:25:26 +0000
Joni

what size do you have on your tsm attrigates? the smaller you have them
the slower the migration process is going to take, alsow do you have
collocation on the storage pools you are migratig to if you do it is going
to take logner to migrate. Have you found out where the bollteneck is on
your system?.

What is the hardware you are running on?

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced
Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S ·
TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
17.08.2005 11:40
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] HELP!!!!  Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!

Hello Everyone!

Due to our tape drive shortage I have added a tremendous amount of disk to
hold the data for 24 hours.  It appears as if now it is taking a very long
time for the disk pools to migrate to tape and processes are still backing
up and causing contention with backups of the client data sometimes of up
to 10 hours.  How can I resolve this issue so that the clients receive a
quick backup and do not have I/O contention?  I thought that adding more
disk would help because the landing spot for the data is now a larger disk
pool that can house all of the data, but it seems like it's hitting it's
70% full mark and when I came in this morning the disk pool was up to 95%
full, there are many clients that are waiting to write their backups and
everything is locked up.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  I don't
know what to do for this environment any longer and I am not allowed to
buy
tape drives.  Thank you in advance!

Joni Moyer
Highmark